ABAP is an association serving the pensions interests of serving and retired British Airways staff.
Why should you join us?
Do you have a BA pension?
The association is for everyone who has pension rights with British Airways – that means those still working as well as existing pensioners and those who have a deferred pension from the company. ABAP is all about protecting your pension and giving you an objective view on how the schemes are doing.
Why should I be interested?
The short answer is your pension is valuable. Most current employees can speak to the airline through their Trade Unions. But once we leave BA we have no collective voice to ask questions about the schemes’ health or the implications of proposed changes – ABAP will give you that voice.
We already have thousands of members so you’ll be in good company. Clearly, the larger our membership, the more persuasive our voice will be. So we’re constantly seeking new members from existing and future British Airways pensioners. If you care what happens to your pension, ABAP is for you!
ABAP was formed in the early 1990’s and in the interval has built up invaluable experience of the pensions industry. The age profile of our membership is young and getting younger and we mean business.
We hire in the right professional experts, including actuaries and lawyers, so that we can properly question the actions proposed by the airline. This is an expensive exercise, well beyond the financial reach of individual members. Without ABAP, individuals may have to rely on only the information provided by British Airways Pensions.
ABAP has gained recognition from the British Airways Trustee Boards as the representative organisation for pensioners and those with deferred pension rights. What’s more the Chairman of the Trustees meets with us twice a year.
So what can we do for you?
• We represent your financial interests in the BA pension schemes.
• We make representations to BA and/or the Schemes Trustees and progress any disputes or differences
• We offer advice to individual members who are in dispute with BA or the Trustees on pensions matters.
• We liaise with other associations, trade unions and other bodies concerning BA pensions.
• We own, maintain and continue to develop our own website: www.abaponline.org
• We keep a watching brief on the security of the Fund(s) to safeguard all members’ interests, and take appropriate action when required.
• We issue public statements on important issues as and when needed.
• We’re invited to comment and negotiate whenever any important matter is discussed.
• We issue regular Newsbriefs to members home address for those who do not have access online.
Ready to join us?
Remember – ABAP provides you with pertinent information on a regular basis as the best way to protect your pension and to keep informed and have your concerns paid attention to. Please join us and tell all your British Airways friendsabout ABAP. It’s their future as well as yours and everyone benefits from the energy and ideas of an increasingly younger membership.
ABAP’s income is derived from annual subscriptions and donations from members. The subscription, payable each July, is just £6 for deferred pensioners and current employees. For existing pensioners it is free, for those with a gross pension of £4,000 or less and, £1 per £1,000 of gross pension thereafter, with a maximum of £60 pa. If you cannot manage that please give what you can afford rather than not become a member at all.
There is a downloadable membership application form on this website here.